A bright smile (and healthy teeth and gums) are signs that you have good dental care habits. Taking care of your mouth helps prevent cavities, eliminates bad breath, and stops gum diseases and plaque buildup in their tracks. Maintaining proper dental hygiene can protect you from serious health concerns and keep your smile bright.
Oral health care can be a challenge, sometimes, if you tend to be rushed in the morning or very tired at night. However, by committing to a routine you’ll be less likely to neglect this important aspect of self-care.
Here are a few tips to promote healthy teeth and gums:
1. Brush teeth before bed. It’s recommended that we brush teeth twice a day. Brushing before going to bed is crucial: Saliva helps fight cavity-causing bacteria, but we don’t produce much saliva while sleeping. Brushing teeth before bed prevents acids and bacteria from eating through teeth enamel, which can result in tooth decay.
2. Brush your tongue. Brushing the tongue removes bacteria and prevents bad breath. Gently brush this important area with a toothbrush or tongue scraper to prevent plaque buildup.
3. Regular dentist visits. A trip to the dentist every six months can keep teeth and gums healthy. Your oral health care providers can spot problems early and keep them from worsening. When you get your teeth cleaned you can also opt for a whitening procedure to maintain a sparkling smile.
4. Floss every day. Flossing is recommended at least once a day. This routine removes plaque between the teeth. Bacteria that feed on leftover food and sugar cause cavities. This kind of cleaning not only prevents cavities, it keeps gum disease at bay.
5. Avoid tobacco. Smoking cigarettes or cigars (and chewing tobacco) can stain teeth and give you bad breath. This habit can lead to complications with your teeth and cause mouth cancer.
6. Eat healthier. Snacking on crunchy fruits and and vegetables (such as apples and celery) can help remove food residue on teeth. Avoid sodas and sugary snacks; sugar converts into acid and erodes tooth enamel. Opt for healthier beverages (e.g. water or unsweetened tea). Foods rich in calcium and vitamin D are also great for strengthening teeth and maintaining healthy gums.
7. Use mouthwash. Swishing mouthwash can reduce plaque, prevent gingivitis, reduce the speed of tartar development, and help remove food particles from the mouth. It also helps keep breath smelling fresh.
8. Replace toothbrush regularly. Dentists recommend changing your toothbrush every three months. Keep it upright and dry when you’re not using your brush to prevent contamination.
Incorporating these oral hygiene tips into your life can improve oral health and make your smile brighter.
For a variety of caring dental services in Oshawa, contact Simcoe Smile Dental at (289) 312-1482.